ESSENTIAL INGREDIENT: ELDERBERRY ELIXIR
(for Lamb, Duck, Venison, Beef)
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/2 cup Port Wine (no substitutes)
- 1/4 cup demi-glace (venison or duck) or 1 cup regular beef stock
- pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- Zest of one lemon and one orange
- 1/4 cup Elderberry Elixir
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Take venison/duck/lamb out of fridge and salt well. Stand at room temp for 30 mins
- Melt butter in sauté pan large enough to hold meat. Brown meat on all sides at medium heat. Cook to medium rare. Move to cutting board and tent.
- Leave 1 tablespoon butter or oil in pan and sauté shallot over medium-high heat for 90 seconds.
- Add Port and de-glaze pan. Allow to boil and reduce to ½. Add stock, salt, citrus spices and boil for up to 2 minutes
- Stir in Elderberry Elixir and black pepper.
- Allow to boil down to thicken (you can strain if you want refined).
- Slice meat into medallions. Pour jus from meat into sauce and stir.
- Serve with sauce.